Sunday, April 19, 2009

Elizabeth Zimmermann


I have fallen in love with Elizabeth Zimmermann (EZ) aka the Opinionated Knitter.    Born in 1910 in England, educated in Art schools in Switzerland and Germany.  Died in the USA in 1999.  

She developed the EPS system for knitting sweaters.  I started an EZ sweater.


I measured a sweater that fits me well.  It measured 47 inches across the chest.  I knit a Cap Swatch Gauge.


I figured my gauge and cast-on the appropriate number of stitches.  I did my calculations by hand and made errors.  So already my sweater is not a 'true' EZ sweater.  I cast on 198 stitches,  knit a k2, p2 rib.  Increased to 212 stitches and will knit in stockinette stitch until I reach the arm holes.  I am bummed that I miscalculated my cast-on stitches.  I should have cast on 192 stitches.  Maybe this error was meant to be so the ribbed edge will fit nicely around my large waist and budding buttocks.  

This sweater will go fast as I am knitting with Heavy Worsted Cascade Pastaza yarn.

No comments: